Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Straw That Broke the Walker's Patience

Okay, that does it. I finally went out and got a new Nike+ sensor. I've had it with losing audio support and mileage reports partway through my long walks. Often, after a long-walk konk-out, the sensor will work perfectly on my short workouts in the days that follow, lulling me into a false sense of electronic functionality. But today, even that fell by the wayside. I got the "activity stopped" message twice during my five-miler. I'll show you activity stopped, ya dumb-bunny piece-a plastic. Hopefully the new one, once I calibrate it, will serve me more faithfully than its predecessor--for a couple more months, anyway. At least they're only $30.

In other news, I finally got in touch with the marathon coach that my mom and husband have contacted at various times with the thought of giving me sessions with him as a gift. We've been e-mailing back and forth, and it looks like we're going to meet up over the weekend. The first bit of wisdom he shared with me was that beginning marathoners' long walks shouldn't make up more than half of their weekly mileage. So I should be walking either farther during the week or less far on my long walks (guess which one appeals more?). Interesting. I'm sure I'll return from our first session with lots more to work on and think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this - I am an unlikely marathoner as well. I used to HATE running and now I am training for my second one. I stumbled you. :)

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I'm glad you stopped into mine, too. I love food writing - I checked out your Wordy Epicure blog - very cool. I am located near Boston but am about to relocate to CA. I am training to run Vienna - my husband and I have started to use marathons as an excuse to travel to Europe. :) Which one are you running?