Sunday, March 23, 2008

.8496 Marathon

I did do the 22 miles...I just didn't write about it. I'm actually writing this on April 1, although the date stamp will probably say it's from sometime in March, because that's when I found and posted the picture. Anyway...here are a couple conclusions I've drawn after walking 20 and 22 miles in successive weeks:
  • If you're walking 20 miles, it's a good idea to know where you're going ahead of time. Not planning your route, and instead tooling around the park for a few miles, then starting down toward Coney Island...not the greatest idea.
  • Bedford Avenue is one loooong street. I knew it was supposedly the longest one that's entirely in Brooklyn (only possibly rivaled by Flatbush Ave), but man...that puppy doesn't end. Actually, it does end--at McCarren Park. I was there.
  • That said, I recommend that if you're plotting a lengthy walk, you either avoid being on the same street for six miles or choose a pretty six-mile stretch for that portion of your journey.
  • Rain is a pain in the butt.
However, I did it. And I never would have thought I could. In fact, thinking about it, I still don't think I could. And yet I did. The next walk I do that's that long will be the marathon.

No comments: