Friday, March 7, 2008

Wonders, Having Frequently Ceased in the Past, Recommence in Earnest

My, I am behind in my posting. Here, then, are some highlights:

- I walked 18 miles about a week-and-a-half ago, down to Coney Island, along the boardwalk, and back home. The walk down was a little boring, but the walk back was an improvement--not only because I was more than halfway through the walk, but also because the houses on the east side of Ocean Parkway are much prettier than the houses and buildings on the west side.

- South Beach has a lovely boardwalk, perfect for a five-mile walk, unless...

- My nano flat-out stopped working when we were in South beach a couple weeks ago. I would start listening, and after about 30 seconds, it would reboot itself. This then happened over and over, whether or not I was listening to it.

- This began happening at the very beginning of a five-miler, and the walk just seemed endless without a soundtrack, so...I started running. Never thought I'd be saying that. It was just for a few minutes, but I was interested to notice that I didn't keel over or anything like that. Maybe running's not so bad after all. But maybe it is.

- Finally, we reloaded the iPod software from iTunes onto the nano. And since then, you won't believe it, but...my Nike+ sensor has been working perfectly. Absolutely flawless (knocking on my wooden bedside table). Was that the trouble all along?

- Middlesex
, by Jeffrey Eugenides, is a terrific listen. I still have a few hours to go, but I'd better find something good to follow it, because it's going to be a letdown to get to the end. Plus...

- I'm doing 20 miles for my next long walk. Wow! Trying to map out an interesting route for that one, and have been consulting write-ups of Brooklyn neighborhood house tours to see where I could see some pretty stuff as I go. I thought of doing a walking tour of all the major private schools in Brooklyn, but I don't know if I'll go with that.

- For some reason, this week's scheduled "long" walk was only eight miles. Odd.

No comments: