Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind

Yesterday:
Distance: 3.01 miles - Time: 41:50 - Avg Pace: 13:53/mi.
Calories: 350
Soundtrack: Food of Love

Today:
Distance: 0.9 miles - Time: 12:04 - Avg Pace: 13:24/mi.
Calories: 105
Distance: 2.1 miles - Time: 28:31 - Avg Pace: 13:33/mi.
Calories: 245
Soundtrack: The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton

Tough walking today! An older woman I passed on the sidewalk murmured to me how brave I was as I walked by. Yesterday was my first walk for a specific mileage rather than a specific time. The pace looks as though it's finally about right, calibration-wise. I don't love that the length of the walks is under my control, and that I don't get to stop after x amount of time no matter what. But I suppose I could use that as motivation to up my speed.

Today's walk ended up divided into two because of an unavoidable stop at the window of a doggie daycare. The little dudes were so cute! A couple pups walked toward the window when I showed up, but only one jumped up on the sill-ledge: a Cavalier! This happens to be the very breed of our own Winnie and Graham--what are the odds? Maybe the vibe is palpable; they're smart dogs. This one was a pretty tricolor--like this fella right here. We looked at each other for a while, me smiling like an idiot, the pup eyeing me patiently, soulfully. Give animals human qualities much?

In other news, I decided to check out some options for keeping my Nike+ sensor in place, for fear that it was sliding around under my laces and affecting my readings. Not to mention the fact that I have to keep half an eye on it during walks, on the off chance it slips out. So I tried out a couple options, the one on the right, which is made by RunAway (I named her Crystal; you like? Okay, maybe I didn't.), and the one on the left, which is made by Marware. The Marware one has become a permanent fixture on my walking shoes; it's a little subtler than having a red and white oval in view bopping atop my laces.

I feel I should speak to the abrupt change of soundtrack. I gave Food of Love a shot, but it just wasn't good. I'm not going to go so far as to say the book itself is a dud, but the audio version just wasn't cutting it. So far, The All-True Travels... is great. Plus, it's three volumes--about 18 hours in all--and so it should hold me for a while. Happy New Year!

No comments: