Friday, December 7, 2007

What Not to Do with Your Feet

I use my feet a lot these days. I generally get a pedicure once a month or so, and the tootsies have been telling me lately that it's time. There's a place I like near Union Square, a couple doors down from our last apartment, and when I got there on Wednesday, I decided I would treat myself to a spa pedicure. That means extra wraps and scrubs and pampering for the feet, and ideally, a more relaxing experience. Right. The woman was smoothing away a callus on my foot with the pumice stone-type implement, and then...it hurt. "Ouch!" I said. And my foot was bleeding. No kidding. I pay for this?! Ugh. A little later, she put a mask-type substance on my feet and lower legs, and I immediately knew it was trouble. I have pretty sensitive skin (thanks, Mom!), and winter, with its chilly temps and dry air and the additional dryness of forced-air heating, makes it worse. As soon as the pedicurist put the green glop on my legs, I felt the skin prickle, and I knew that when she took it off, there would be red blotchiness in its wake. Again, not relaxing, but this time, not her doing. By the time I left, I wished I'd just gotten a regular old pedicure, which is what I will do in the future. Harumph.

Walked a bunch after school today, just around town, and I mapped it tonight (click here to check it out!). Over two miles! So I've decided that that was my cross-training: strolling with occasional stops for errands and shopping. Done and done.

Adventure to come over the weekend.

No comments: