Sunday, November 11, 2007

Eureka!

Saturday's walk:
Time: 40:08 - Distance: 3.15 miles - Avg Pace: 12:43/mi.
Calories: 367
Soundtrack: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

So the Shin Thing is not entirely behind me, although it did go away yesterday partway through my walk, which makes me think it's a warming-up-type issue. Not having walked in two days (due to Cross-Training Thursday and Rest-Day Friday) causes the parts to take a bit to get cranking. Wonder if there are some stretches I could do before starting that might loosen everything up from the get-go. The end of Daylight Savings last weekend meant that my 4:50pm walk ended in near-darkness. But listening to Barbara Kingsolver talk about locally grown vegetables and the virtues of cooking at home as I walked around Prospect Park at twilight--it doesn't get a whole lot better than that. And I know this is elementary to regular exercisers, but it kind of blows my mind that I find it very chilly outside right now, but when I'm working out, I'm comfortable in fewer and lighter layers than when I'm not. Maybe training over the winter won't be so bad (she says naïvely in the second week of November). As I look at the consistency of my pace lately, it makes me think that something might have been a little off with my measuring devices on Wednesday. 12:07's pretty fast compared to the rest of what I've been doing. But hey, if it's actually possible, I'll see if I can get back down there.

One of the most exciting parts of today's walk was stretching after I got home and finding that...I could touch my toes! I have notoriously tight hamstrings and generally only dangle nearby rather than actually laying finger to footwear. But sure enough--I double checked several times--I had my hands on my sneakers. Woohoo! Benefits galore to this walking stuff!

Never reported on Thursday's cross-training, which was a Magic Circle Mat Pilates class, my first at the Pilates Boutique in Carroll Gardens. The Magic Circle is a piece of equipment that looks like this thing on the right and provides additional resistance during Pilates mat work. Sometimes you put it between your hands, other times between your thighs or ankles. Anyway, the things about the class was that the guy teaching it wasn't doing any of the exercises. He was standing and instructing, and so often, he was moving too quickly. Not I-can't-follow quickly, but we'd-get-a-better-workout-if-you'd-slow-down quickly. So that was frustrating. I don't know that I got a ton out of it, nor that I would take another class with him, but it is close to home and I liked the space, so maybe I'll give it another try sometime with a different teacher. Finding a class on Thursdays, especially when I'm tutoring, can be tricky, and so I think I might invest in a Pilates DVD of some sort. Still waiting to get my bike back from the shop.

No comments: