Friday, November 2, 2007

My Teeny-Tiny Marathon Fetus

I now understand more than ever why people wait before telling anyone--even closest friends and loved ones--that they're pregnant. What if the kid doesn't make it? I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what it's like to be with child, but I can tell you that it was with a certain trepidation that I revealed this blog--and with it, my marathon plans--to my parents this morning. These are my parents we're talking about. Word on the street is that they'll love me no matter what, but what if this little baby marathon dream I'm cultivating doesn't survive the winter? I am acutely aware of how deeply I fear failure, and how I let that stop me from trying. There is a bets-hedging voice inside me, telling me that the fewer people I reveal Project Marathon to, the easier it will be to give it up when it gets hard. But isn't that why I should tell everyone? So often I want to play small, to keep the stakes low and easy. Sure, it's about this one undertaking, but beyond that, it goes right to the heart of how powerful I'm willing to be. You've probably read or heard that terrific Nelson Mandela quote: "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" Every time I read those words, it takes my breath away. So get the hell out there and start moving.

No comments: